I would like a more logical sequence for the screens during the sales process on my FLEX device.
I am fairly new to the FLEX device, but I have used standard cc terminals for 20 years. I am in a business where I have a very personal interaction with my clients, who are usually already known to me or will become a regular clients if they like my skills. On Dec 27, for the 1st time ever in my 20 years mechant's life, an unknown new client introduced a card that turned out to be declined- reason unknown. I never had a chance to realize that until the end of the day when I was about to close the batch: that transaction appeared as declined, and I had by then no recourse.
My comments and suggestions:
1) I am shocked my Flex did not beep loudly to alert me that the card was declined.
2) I am convinced that part of the problem is the order through which the transaction process screens come on .
I reenacted the "decline" process using an expired card in order to see how such a problem happened (what do you know: this FLEX device that is supposed to help secure the transaction for the owner of the card actually allowed me the merchant to be defrauded because the FLEX's screen sequence fails to present the "decline" screen in a timely manner. Hey?)
Here is what happens:
1) The terminal beeps only when the card has been processed and is ready to be removed: that is a prompt that does not change, whether the card will turn out to be accepted or refused. It does not hence constitute an alert.
2) What happens next is a screen I thought illogical even before that fraud slipped by. The current Clover sequence is: after the client takes her card out of the terminal, the next screen that appears is “ All done. Please return this terminal to an employee.”
On a normal basis, that means -to me and to the client- that the transaction is finished and completed. Yet AFTER that “ All done” prompt, comes another screen whereby the employee (that would be me, the sole owner and worker of my spa business) is asked to print or email a receipt.
This “receipt” screen comes after everything seems finished- like an afterthought. As a matter of fact, I am on automatic pilot by now to not wait for it - because most of my clients do not want a receipt. And they are logically ready to leave after the "All done" screen.
I think this "print receipt?" screen should arrive BEFORE the “All done, give the device to an employee” screen, so the client herself can- if she wants that- mail herself a receipt and type herself her email address, instead of the employee ( me) struggling to type the email correctly. Wouldn’t that be more logical?
Now, watch out: In the case of a declined transaction, it turns out that after the “ All done. Give back the device to an employee” screen, the next screen that comes on is not the usual “do you want a receipt?” but “ TRANSACTION DECLINED. NO REASON PROVIDED.” No sound: just that afterthought screen. Oh really?
But by the time I get that screen, I have already thanked my client and accompanied her to my door out thanking her for her payment! The "decline" failed to make itself conspicuous.
It is actually quite possible that very screen came on for my fraudulent new client as well, but she tapped it away ( it is very easy to do that) and the terminal was looking normal by the time I got to look at it.
My observations: I think it is illogical for that particular screen (whether it announces receipts or warnings) to come AFTER the transaction instead of DURING. And I think it is very negligent of Clover to not embed a warning sound when the terminal determines that the card will be declined.
I also think it is more logical to have the "Tips" screen come AFTER the "put your card in the slot" step, not before: I have observed that my clients are confused by the steps to follow, even as I tell them "just follow the prompts". As it is, the FLEX device asks them to add a tip before it asks them to present their card to the terminal. I think it impairs the fluidity of their payment, and it is a bit off putting to push the tips so hard so soon. We all would like to get tips, but not so blatantly.
To summarize- my ideal order of screens on the terminal is:
1) which payment do you wish to use?
2) put your card in the slot or tap your Apple phone on the screen
3) do you want to add a tip?
4) do you want a receipt ?(or DECLINED CARD!!! Warning!)" Or "All done. Thank you!" would be enough, really.
Thank you for reading my suggestions.