The station duo absolutely needs the pre auth feature.
This is not a want, but absolutely a need. Bars/breweries/coffee shops. Basically anyone worried about someone walking out on a tab needs this feature. It is less than efficient to jump to the auth tab back and forth. The auth tab also doesn’t save to an order. Even if you can start an auth then from the auth tab create an order and it saves the card to that order, that would work. Anything less than that or the original pre auth option is less than average. Basically every other system out there can do this.
Cory S commented
I have many customers that have been surprised by this "missing" feature. It is very important.
Little Lake Brewing commented
I have similar comments as the other restaurants/breweries have already posted. I also posted this idea elsewhere and Clover combined it with another idea that has far fewer votes. How about just fixing the issue? This is a critical need and it is disappointing to see that this conversation has been going on since 2020! Station Duo needs to handle pre-Auth in the same way that the mini and flex do. C'mon!
Driller, Tim commented
I've never understood why the Mini, Flex and Station Solo, and even past Clover devices can do pre-auths, but the Station Duo can't. In essence, it's actually become a downgrade from past clover models. A fix for this would be amazing, and is requested by several of our merchants.
As a craft brewery, we're an establishment that does LOTS of open tabs for customers who are having multiple beverages with us. Just 2 weeks ago we had a customer bring in a stolen credit card to our brewery. We already hold everybody's credit cards since the Station Pro/Duo does not allow Pre-Auth's. This customer racked up over $40 on "their" tab then walked out. When our staff tried to close out the tab at the end of the night, the card had obviously already been canceled so our business is now out that $40+ & our staff is also out any added gratuity for their services. It is utterly insane to me that the Clover Mini devices can pre-auth, but the Station Pro/Duo's do not.
We also hate having to manage customer cards. It adds time to each transaction typing in each customer name as a "Note", especially during busy times. We frequently have customers forgetting their cards here & having to return to retrieve them. It makes US look bad since so many other POS systems now allow Pre-Auth's & our customers are getting used to that elsewhere. Please just add the option for Pre-Auth to Station Pro/Duo!!!
Clover Station Duo has no way to pre-authorize cards within the Register app. Clover Mini does have this option. You can go into Setup --> Payments --> and there you can toggle the option to allow for pre-authorization. There is not reason that the Clover Station Duo should not have the same functionality. It essentially uses the Clover Mini as the customer-facing screen and as the "brains" of the Clover Station Duo.
The only way to pre-authorize cards on the Clover Station Duo is to use another App, which is not as easily used and doesn't function within the Register App. So, you have to constantly go between apps to use this function. Doesn't make sense. Doesn't work well.
Please make the Clover Station Duo have the same pre-authorization functionality as the Clover Mini.
We have been using Clover (Duo and Mini) for about 2 weeks now. The transition from NCR Silver to Clover has been pretty smooth. We still need to transition gift cards and once our new gift cards arrive and we have the ability to determine balances of older cards, we will terminate our service with NCR. The feedback from both employees and customers has been very positive. We absolutely believe we’ve made the right choice in switching to Clover.
With that, there are two (2) key features we need. Before I get into the specifics, I want to explain and emphasize the importance of these features. As a retailer in the craft brewery space, which gets more competitive every day, it is about having a great product and a great experience (from both a customer and employee perspective). When employees are happy, this translates to a more positive customer experience. From a customer perspective, they want their beer quickly and they want the payment transaction to be quick, painless, smooth and secure. As a business, we used to take and hold the customer’s credit card for all tabs. On a couple of occasions, we have returned a credit card to the wrong customer. This is not a good experience at all. Further, I can not tell you how many credit cards have been left behind.
So as you can see, we are all about brewing and selling great beer and creating an outstanding experience for our customers. Now onto our requests:
1. Ability to perform pre-auth and ALL devices, run tabs and closes tabs on any device is critical. Currently we are using 2 mini’s along side our 2 Duo stations to support tabs. We hav trained our staff to start and end tabs using the mini’s. The Duo’s are used to add to an open tab or for non-tab transactions (customers paying as they go or paying by cash). We have order 2 more mini’s to as a short term gap (hopefully) to run our business. Having the support in Duo is critically important for these reasons:
- No longer holding onto customer credit card and making sure the customer holds onto their own card
- Tab automatically fills in customer name eliminate dalays and mistake by our staff, this reduces time spent manually entering data
- Allows us to close out tabs without the need of additional swipes or card insertions.
2. Having a feature of Tax Included. This was a key feature of NCR Silver that we used extensively. We created several tax categories (Clover can do this too); however, the category had an attribute indicating if tax is included. We really like this feature for several key reasons:
- Keeps pricing simple. Customers understand the price of an item (which includes tax); we entered the full price including tax and tax was calculated correctly of these items.
- Easier for staff to deal with change. No need to worry about coin change in our case
- It is a faster transaction not dealing with change
- A better customer transaction, no coin change, just dollars… which is also easier for customer to leave a tip.
- At the end of the night, it is much easier for the owners to reconcile cash drawers.
- Right now, a single item may work out to whole dollars, but when multiple items are included, the math simply doesn’t work. Rounding down is also not a good option for us. Applying discounts also messes things up.
- Being off by pennies is not such a big deal with credit cards, but when dealing with cash, the cash drawers never align with what is reported at the end of the night.
- We run a very tight ship, we like when the cash reported matches what comes out the cash drawers. Our employees take great pride in this.
For these reasons, having tax included is critical for our business.
In the short time (less than two weeks) we have had over 1,000 transactions. We do a lot of small transactions, that is the nature of our business. About 70% is done by credit card; the other is cash. So with this many transactions and trying to create an excellent customer experience and have a delighted staff, we absolutely need the above two features.
I am happy to discuss this in any detail with any of the developers or product managers at Clover. I believe by having these as part of the base product will enhance Clover as a solution for other retailers (especially craft breweries).
Thank you for your consideration.
JEAN MALONE commented
THIS IS A MAJOR ISSUE FOR BARS/WINERYS WHO WANT TIP/SIGNATURE ON SCREEN , BUT ALSO NEED TO PREAUTH THE CARD AND OPEN A BAR TAB.
Deborah York commented
We just recently purchased the Duo after being told that there would be bar tap pre auth available in the Register app, just as it functions on the Mini and Solo. After spending three hours talking to the support team on the phone, we found out that there actually is no bar tap pre auth functionality on the Duo, even though it says in the settings that it is not only turned on, but also available on ALL Clover devices. When will this feature actually be available on the Duo? I know we're not the only merchants who are needing this function.
BRYAN BAKER commented
Clover Duo to have pre auth in register app and clover dining app!
David Jackson commented
With Clover Station Duos and Solos, it appear that there is no option currently where a merchant can run bar tab pre-authorizations and also be able to do ApplePay. The Solo cannot do Applepay and the Duo cannot do pre-authorizations. It would be great to build pre-authorizations into the Duo.
Michael Miller commented
Currently you can only pre-auth 1 card for the whole table.
merchants would like to have the option for pre auth available on the register app
Tony Lynch commented
I've used both a Clover Station and Mini in my original location for a year with no issues. However, upon setting up the new Station Pro in my new location, the CC pre-auth feature no longer allows a card to be charged without the card present. As a bar, this feature is extremely important as tabs are somewhat frequently not closed out. Please fix the issue ASAP!
The merchant wants to be able to use a Bar Tab with creating a pre - auth. He wants to be able to swipe the card just to hold the card information ( he does not like that his customer are seeing the pending pre auth on their end )